Please Help Us Keep These Thousands of Blog Posts Growing and Free for All
The relation sustained by the Holy Spirit to Jesus Christ is a twofold one. First: He predicted by the holy prophets the great facts in the life of the coming one. Second: He associated himself with that one after he came.
The Time of Hid Coming Was Clearly Foretold
Isaiah 2:2 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
2 It will come to pass in the latter days
that the mountain of the house of Jehovah
will be established on the top of the mountains,
and will be lifted up above the hills;
and all the nations will stream to it,
He Was to Come While the Second Temple Was In Existence
Malachi 3:1 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
3 “Look! I am going to send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you are seeking will come suddenly to his temple, and the messenger of the covenant will come, in whom you take delight, behold, he is coming,” says Jehovah of hosts.
The Place of His Birth Was Foretold
“But thou, Bethlehem Ephrathah, which art little to be among the thousands of Judah, out of thee shall one come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting” (Mic. 5:2).
His Lineage Was Declared the In the Hebrew Old Testament
(1) He was to be a descendant of Abraham. “I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” (Gen. 12:3, ESV) “For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.” (Heb. 2:16, ESV)
(2) He was to be of the tribe of Judah. ” For it is evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, a tribe with reference to which Moses spoke nothing concerning priests.” (Heb. 7:14, NASB)
(3) He was to be of the house of David. ” In that day the root of Jesse, who shall stand as a signal for the peoples–of him shall the nations inquire, and his resting place shall be glorious.” (Isa. 11:10, ESV)
The Prophets described his Character
(1) His wisdom. ” And the Spirit of Jehovah shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.” (Isa. 11:2, ASV)
(2) His obedience. ” For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.” (John 6:38, ESV)
(3) His love of righteousness. ” You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of joy above Your fellows.” (Ps. 45:7, NASB)
(4) His gentleness and tenderness. ” He will not cry, nor lift up his voice, nor cause it to be heard in the street. A bruised reed will he not break, and a dimly burning wick will he not quench: he will bring forth justice in truth.” (Isa. 42:2-3, ASV)
(5) His compassion. ” The Spirit of the Lord Jehovah is upon me; because Jehovah hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.” (Isa. 61:1, ASV).
His Betrayal and Trial
As we approach the closing scenes of Christ’s life the prophecies become more minute and remarkable.
(1) The betrayal. “And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my hire; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my hire thirty pieces of silver. And Jehovah said unto me, Cast it unto the potter, the goodly price that I was prized at by them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them unto the potter, in the house of Jehovah.” (Zech. 11:12-13, ASV)
(2) His demeanor when on trial. “He was oppressed, yet when he was afflicted he opened not his mouth; as a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and as a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not His mouth.” (Isa. 53:7, ASV)
(3) When crucified, the soldiers were to part his garments among them and cast lots for his vesture. “They part my garments among them, And upon my vesture do they cast lots.” (Ps. 22:18, ASV)
(4) He was to be numbered with the transgressors. “Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he poured out his soul unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” (Isa. 53:12, ASV)
(5) He was to perish amid cruel mocking. “But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, Commit thyself unto Jehovah; let him deliver him: let him rescue him, seeing he delighted in him.” (Ps. 22:6-8, ASV)
His Resurrection and Coronation
(1) He was to rise from the dead. “For thou wilt not leave my soul to Sheol; neither wilt thou suffer thy holy one to see corruption.” (Ps. 16:10, ASV)
(2) His ascension was also a subject of prophecy. “Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led away captives; thou hast received gifts among men, yea, among the rebellious also, that Jehovah God might dwell with them.” (Ps. 68:18, ASV)
(3) His coronation is foretold and described. “I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of heaven one like unto a son of man, and he came even to the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.” (Dan. 7:13-14, ASV)
The above are only a few of the many predictions made by the Holy Spirit as to the character, life, sacrifice and dominion of our Lord. We notice now the work of the Spirit in, upon and through him.
He Was Conceived By Holy Spirit
“Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.” (Matt. 1:18, ESV) “The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you, and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.” – Luke 1:35, NASB
He was Anointed By Holy Spirit
“And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold,the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold,a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (Matt. 3:16-17, ESV) “In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’” (Mark 1:9-11, ESV) “Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”” (Luke 3:21-22, ESV) “And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’” – John 1:32-33
He Was Led By the Holy Spirit
“Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.” (Matt. 4:1) “The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.” (Mark 1:12) “And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness.” – Luke 4:1
He Performed Miracles By the Holy Spirit
“But if I by the Spirit of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.” (Matt. 12:28) “But if I by the finger of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you.” – Luke 11:20
He Offered Himself Up Through Holy Spirit
Hebrews 9:14 English Standard Version (ESV)
14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.
He Was Raised By the Holy Spirit
“If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.” (Rom. 8:11) “and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Rom. 1:4)
He Gave the Commission By the Holy Spirit
Acts 1:1-2 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Promise of the Holy Spirit
1 In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2 until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.
He Ascended and Coronation Was Announced By the Holy Spirit
“Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.” (Acts 2:33, ESV) “Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” – Acts 2:36
Thus, the Spirit predicted the coming of Jesus and the great facts of his birth, baptism, anointing, miracles, death, burial and resurrection, ascension and coronation, and then came from the Father to carry on the work of extending his kingdom. In the light of this testimony we can truly say with Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:3: “And I know that this man was caught up into paradise, whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.”
“I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me … While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled … I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.” – John 17:6-8, 12, 14-15, ESV
Please Help Us Keep These Thousands of Blog Posts Growing and Free for All